JULY THE 4TH EVE

(Blog written by Indy's foster mom Wanda)
Right off, I would like to let you know, I am in no way an author. I hope you will be able to follow Indy's story here. 
Independence got her name "of course" from the 4th of July. Indy for short, because the interstate where she was hit by a car is SO busy and crazy it is sometimes referred to as the Indy 500!
Know that each word is written with love and great respect for Independence aka Indy.
I am a board member and volunteer with Canine Pet Rescue. CPR was founded by Carla Brown and is located in Dacula GA. I have to say, I am very honored and proud to be a member of this wonderful rescue. 
On July the 3rd, 2010, I was sleeping away. It was around 10am that morning when the phone rang. YES..10am is a bit late to be sleeping, but I had been out very late attending a concert in Charlotte NC. When I answered the phone, I found it was Carla. She ask if I would go with her to the Dekalb County GA animal shelter. She said a German Shepherd had been hit by a car on I-285. I-285 is a VERY busy interstate. Without our help, this GS would have been euthanized on this day. So off we went!
When we arrived at the shelter, Indy was in such a horrible state. Her head was split open and we also knew for sure she had a badly broken leg. Carla, Jamie, and myself got Indy loaded up in the back of Carla's SUV and off we went. Despite the pain Indy was in, she was the kindest most gentle dog you could ever possibly meet.
It was of course a holiday weekend and a Sat. on top of that. Carla had spoken to a veterinary clinic in Gwinnett County and we took Indy straight there. 
Once Indy was examined at the clinic, she was found to have a two inch skull fracture, multiple bruises and lacerations, and a very badly broken femur. The on call veterinarian recommended that due to the skull fracture, Indy should be euthanized. Carla said "NO". She said "Indy deserves to have a chance." So Indy was then stablized and bandaged until the following Monday. At this time her injuries were closely addressed and decisions on how to proceed was make. 
This is Indy right after we picked her up and had arrived at the veterinary clinic and also a photo of Indy after she was stabilized at the clinic and safe at home in Carla's office.








No comments:

Post a Comment